Sachin is the greatest role model I've ever met: Kirsten




Indian coach Gary Kirsten today termed batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar as "the Greatest sporting role model" he has ever met.

"I have played fair amount of cricket with Sachin and it has been a humble privilege to have worked with him and the rest of the Indian team," Gary Kirsten told during the release of journalist Gautam Bhattacharya's book 'Sach'.

The former South African opener's Kirsten, by far the most popular among the foreign coaches is on the last leg of his tenure as India coach admitted that he was apprehensive in the beginning when offered the role of coaching India.

When I got the offer of coaching the Indian team. I was little bit nervous and apprehensive as to how I will start the proceedings. I still remember in Adelaide (tour of Australia 2007-08), Sachin came up to me and said "Can you throw a few balls at me?" I said to myself, I need to impress him. I threw from 16-17 yards and he missed a few balls. Next moment, he came to me and said,"Gary do you mind going a few yards back?" Kirsten recollected.

"After that, lovely cover drives flowed from Sachin's bat. It was a good learning experience for me. I am fortunate to have had many net sessions with him and played alongside him," one could gauge the admiration in the former South African opener's voice.

Kirsten feels that it's his humility towards the game that makes Sachin the true champion that he is. "Whenever Sachin comes out to bat, he treats his batting absolute humility."
Share:

2 comments:

  1. No doubt that Sachin is the greatest of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete